F1 And MotoGP News: Your Formula 1 And MotoGP News SourceMake Sure To Check The Latest F1 And MotoGP News And Results Here!

Lorenzo Snatches Pole, Spies Heads Second Row

Yamaha Factory rider Jorge Lorenzo snatched a sensational pole position in today's qualifying session at Motegi in Japan. With a number of rivals pushing the lap times down and provisional pole repeatedly taken from one rider to another, the Mallorcan took P1 in the dying seconds of the qualifying session, with his only title rival Dani Pedrosa in second.

Lorenzo's unbeatable lap time of 1’44.969 is the new pole record for the Motegi circuit and makes the 50th pole position of his career. His American team mate Ben Spies was one of the few riders scrapping for pole position. At one point in qualifying, Spies was on provisional pole nearly half a second clear of the field. As the final minutes went by a Yamaha front row looked more than possible until a small mistake dropped the Texan to fourth on the grid, just 0.367 from pole.

Jorge Lorenzo
“I’ve been really fast all weekend with a very good pace but in qualifying, ten minutes to the end I thought I was making a very good lap but I was in sixth position! I didn’t understand how the other riders were going so fast. I needed to push a bit more; in the second to last lap I made a mistake so in the last lap I had my last chance. I made it so I’m very happy but of course the important thing is the race tomorrow.”

Ben Spies
“It was a good session for us, we made a small mistake at the end but the pace of the bike is good. By the time we got to the third rear tyre the front was a little bit past the limit but we were still pushing because I thought we could get on the front row. On the second tyre I made a small mistake on the hot lap which is a shame because I think that lap could have been close to pole, definitely the front row anyway and maybe a Factory Yamaha one-two. Fourth is good though as we now have a starting position so I’ll give it my best for a good start and get on the back of the guys and see what we can do.”

Press release courtesy of Yamaha Factory Racing.

eSportsonline - Discount Team Gear for Every Sport + Free Shipping


2026 F1 Championship Standings (as of September 26)

PDriverTeamPoints
1Andrea AntonelliMercedes302
2George RussellMercedes236
3Lewis HamiltonFerrari199
4Lando NorrisMcLaren186
5Charles LeclercFerrari179
6Max VerstappenRed Bull163
7Oscar PiastriMcLaren120
8Isack HadjarRed Bull86
9Liam LawsonRacing Bulls59
10Pierre GaslyAlpine41
11Arvid LindbladRacing Bulls37
12Franco ColapintoAlpine27
13Oliver BearmanHaas20
14Gabriel BortoletoAudi10
15Nico HülkenbergAudi7
16Carlos SainzWilliams7
17Esteban OconHaas7
18Alexander AlbonWilliams5
19Fernando AlonsoAston Martin3
20Yuki TsunodaRacing Bulls1
21Lance StrollAston Martin0
22Valtteri BottasCadillac0
23Sergio PerezCadillac0
PTeamPoints
1Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team538
         Poles: 11       Sprint wins: 4       GP wins: 11
2Scuderia Ferrari HP378
         Poles: 0       Sprint wins: 0       GP wins: 2
3McLaren Mastercard F1 Team306
         Poles: 3       Sprint wins: 1       GP wins: 2
4Oracle Red Bull Racing263
         Poles: 0       Sprint wins: 0       GP wins: 0
5Visa Cash App Racing Bulls83
         Poles: 0       Sprint wins: 0       GP wins: 0
6BWT Alpine F1 Team68
         Poles: 1       Sprint wins: 0       GP wins: 0
7TGR Haas F1 Team27
         Poles: 0       Sprint wins: 0       GP wins: 0
8Audi Revolut F1 Team17
         Poles: 0       Sprint wins: 0       GP wins: 0
9Atlassian Williams F1 Team12
         Poles: 0       Sprint wins: 0       GP wins: 0
10Aston Martin Aramco F1 Team3
         Poles: 0       Sprint wins: 0       GP wins: 0
11Cadillac F1 Team0
         Poles: 0       Sprint wins: 0       GP wins: 0

2026 MotoGP Championship Standings (as of September 20)

PRiderTeamPoints
1Jorge MartinAprilia Racing306
2Marc MarquezDucati Lenovo294
3Marco BezzecchiAprilia Racing264
4Pedro AcostaRed Bull KTM234
5Fabio Di GiannantonioPertamina Enduro VR46230
6Ai OguraTrackhouse Racing222
7Raul FernandezTrackhouse Racing203
8Alex MarquezGresini Racing158
9Francesco BagnaiaDucati Lenovo156
10Fermin AldeguerGresini Racing115
11Luca MariniHonda HRC Castrol98
12Enea BastianiniKTM Tech397
13Brad BinderRed Bull KTM94
14Diogo MoreiraPro Honda LCR65
15Fabio QuartararoMonster Energy Yamaha61
16Franco MorbidelliPertamina Enduro VR4656
17Johann ZarcoCastrol Honda LCR45
18Joan MirHonda HRC Castrol33
19Jack MillerPramac Racing28
20Alex RinsMonster Energy Yamaha24
21Toprak RazgatlıoğluPramac Racing18
22Maverick ViñalesKTM Tech310
23Iker LecuonaGresini Racing9
24Augusto FernandezYamaha Factory Racing6
25Pol EspargaroKTM Tech35
26Takaaki NakagamiHonda HRC Castrol3
27Michele PirroGresini Racing0
28Cal CrutchlowCastrol Honda LCR0
29Lorenzo SavadoriTrackhouse Racing0
30Jonas FolgerKTM Tech30
PTeamPoints
1Aprilia Racing570
         Poles: 7       Sprint wins: 4       GP wins: 5
2Ducati Lenovo Team450
         Poles: 4       Sprint wins: 7       GP wins: 5
3SuperFile Trackhouse MotoGP Team425
         Poles: 1       Sprint wins: 2       GP wins: 2
4Red Bull KTM Factory Racing328
         Poles: 1       Sprint wins: 1       GP wins: 1
5Pertamina Enduro VR46 Racing Team286
         Poles: 2       Sprint wins: 0       GP wins: 1
6BK8 Gresini Racing MotoGP282
         Poles: 0       Sprint wins: 1       GP wins: 1
7Honda HRC Castrol134
         Poles: 0       Sprint wins: 0       GP wins: 0
8Red Bull KTM Tech3112
         Poles: 0       Sprint wins: 0       GP wins: 0
9Honda LCR MotoGP110
         Poles: 0       Sprint wins: 0       GP wins: 0
10Monster Energy Yamaha MotoGP85
         Poles: 0       Sprint wins: 0       GP wins: 0
11Prima Pramac Racing46
         Poles: 0       Sprint wins: 0       GP wins: 0