F1 And MotoGP News: Your Formula 1 And MotoGP News SourceMake Sure To Check The Latest F1 And MotoGP News And Results Here!

Kamui Kobayashi And Marcus Ericsson To Race For Caterham In 2014

The Caterham F1 team has announced Kamui Kobayashi and Marcus Ericsson as its drivers for the 2014 campaign. The Japanese racing driver returns to F1 after competing in last year's FIA World Endurance Championship series with Ferrari, while the 23 year old Swede is set for his Formula 1 debut at Melbourne's Albert Park in two months time.

"It's a great feeling to be back as an F1 race driver and I'm really pleased it's with Caterham F1 Team," Kobayashi said. "We've been talking to Cyril and Tony since last year about driving for the team for 2014 and beyond."

"Throughout all our discussions I've been very impressed with where they want to take the team and how much investment has been made already to help them achieve their goals. For me, it's a great honour that the team hired me based on the value I bring in racing terms and the experience I have."

"I am so happy that I am able to make this announcement today. I will do my very best to lead the team and work as hard as possible to achieve our targets. I also want to give special thanks to all the fans who have made donations to Kamui Support."

"Their donations and gestures gave me extra strength to come back fighting and I am very pleased that the money they raised not only helped me but will now go to helping Caterham progress this year. Every single one of you who helped with Kamui Support will race with me in 2014 and that makes me very proud."

"I first visited the factory in Leafield just before Christmas and it's clear how hungry the whole team is to make progress. Last year was a tough season, but the new rules this year mean that everyone in F1 is starting again and, that means everybody has a chance to improve. From what I've seen, Caterham now has everything in place to progress this year and for many seasons to come."

"We're all realistic about what we can actually achieve this year and until we've run the car properly at the tests it's still too early to see where we are compared to the other teams, but whatever happens we have to move forwards this year."

"For me, it's a chance to start again with a new team but one that's serious about progressing. For the team, 2014 is the first chance to show what they can do with all the people and infrastructure they've built up in Leafield since moving there in 2012."

"I can't wait to start work again. One of the benefits of making this announcement so close to the start of the tests means I only have a few days to wait to get back on track! Before then I'll be at the factory as much as possible, working in the simulator and with everyone there to prepare as much as we can for the tests in Jerez and Bahrain. Physically and mentally I'm fully prepared, now I just want to get back to work!"

Marcus Ericsson: "This is a very proud day for me and everyone who has helped make my F1 dream come true. I'll be making the step up to F1 with Caterham F1 Team in 2014 and I'm already excited about the season ahead, and the first race in Australia in particular."

"It's obviously great for Sweden that we'll have a Swedish driver back on the grid in 2014. This is what I've been working for since I first started racing karts back when I was nine years old, and now I know I'm ready for the step up to F1. Caterham is a young team and together we can take on the challenges the new rules will present in 2014, learning together and continuing to develop as the season progresses."

"After a good break at home over Christmas, the hard work has already started. My physical fitness has always been good, but I've been working even more on that since the discussions with Caterham began."

"I'm going to be in the factory in Leafield as much as I can before and during the tests in Spain and Bahrain so I can play an active role in helping understand the 2014 car, and what we need to do to unlock its performance. We have a big task in front of us but it's an exciting one, and one both the team and I are ready for."

The Leafield-based oufit will launch its 2014 contender, the CT04 F1 car, on Tuesday January 28, the first day of pre-season testing in Jerez, Spain.



2026 F1 Championship Standings (as of September 26)

PDriverTeamPoints
1Andrea AntonelliMercedes302
2George RussellMercedes236
3Lewis HamiltonFerrari199
4Lando NorrisMcLaren186
5Charles LeclercFerrari179
6Max VerstappenRed Bull163
7Oscar PiastriMcLaren120
8Isack HadjarRed Bull86
9Liam LawsonRacing Bulls59
10Pierre GaslyAlpine41
11Arvid LindbladRacing Bulls37
12Franco ColapintoAlpine27
13Oliver BearmanHaas20
14Gabriel BortoletoAudi10
15Nico HülkenbergAudi7
16Carlos SainzWilliams7
17Esteban OconHaas7
18Alexander AlbonWilliams5
19Fernando AlonsoAston Martin3
20Yuki TsunodaRacing Bulls1
21Lance StrollAston Martin0
22Valtteri BottasCadillac0
23Sergio PerezCadillac0
PTeamPoints
1Mercedes AMG Petronas F1 Team538
         Poles: 11       Sprint wins: 4       GP wins: 11
2Scuderia Ferrari HP378
         Poles: 0       Sprint wins: 0       GP wins: 2
3McLaren Mastercard F1 Team306
         Poles: 3       Sprint wins: 1       GP wins: 2
4Oracle Red Bull Racing263
         Poles: 1       Sprint wins: 0       GP wins: 0
5Visa Cash App Racing Bulls83
         Poles: 0       Sprint wins: 0       GP wins: 0
6BWT Alpine F1 Team68
         Poles: 1       Sprint wins: 0       GP wins: 0
7TGR Haas F1 Team27
         Poles: 0       Sprint wins: 0       GP wins: 0
8Audi Revolut F1 Team17
         Poles: 0       Sprint wins: 0       GP wins: 0
9Atlassian Williams F1 Team12
         Poles: 0       Sprint wins: 0       GP wins: 0
10Aston Martin Aramco F1 Team3
         Poles: 0       Sprint wins: 0       GP wins: 0
11Cadillac F1 Team0
         Poles: 0       Sprint wins: 0       GP wins: 0

2026 MotoGP Championship Standings (as of October 3)

PRiderTeamPoints
1Jorge MartinAprilia Racing313
2Marc MarquezDucati Lenovo306
3Marco BezzecchiAprilia Racing268
4Pedro AcostaRed Bull KTM234
5Fabio Di GiannantonioPertamina Enduro VR46230
6Ai OguraTrackhouse Racing227
7Raul FernandezTrackhouse Racing205
8Alex MarquezGresini Racing158
9Francesco BagnaiaDucati Lenovo156
10Fermin AldeguerGresini Racing115
11Enea BastianiniKTM Tech3103
12Luca MariniHonda HRC Castrol98
13Brad BinderRed Bull KTM94
14Diogo MoreiraPro Honda LCR74
15Fabio QuartararoMonster Energy Yamaha62
16Franco MorbidelliPertamina Enduro VR4656
17Johann ZarcoCastrol Honda LCR48
18Joan MirHonda HRC Castrol33
19Jack MillerPramac Racing28
20Alex RinsMonster Energy Yamaha24
21Toprak RazgatlıoğluPramac Racing18
22Maverick ViñalesKTM Tech310
23Iker LecuonaGresini Racing9
24Augusto FernandezYamaha Factory Racing6
25Pol EspargaroKTM Tech35
26Takaaki NakagamiHonda HRC Castrol3
27Michele PirroGresini Racing0
28Cal CrutchlowCastrol Honda LCR0
29Lorenzo SavadoriTrackhouse Racing0
30Jonas FolgerKTM Tech30
31Somkiat ChantraHonda HRC Castrol0
PTeamPoints
1Aprilia Racing581
         Poles: 8       Sprint wins: 4       GP wins: 5
2Ducati Lenovo Team462
         Poles: 4       Sprint wins: 8       GP wins: 5
3SuperFile Trackhouse MotoGP Team432
         Poles: 1       Sprint wins: 2       GP wins: 2
4Red Bull KTM Factory Racing328
         Poles: 1       Sprint wins: 1       GP wins: 1
5Pertamina Enduro VR46 Racing Team286
         Poles: 2       Sprint wins: 0       GP wins: 1
6BK8 Gresini Racing MotoGP282
         Poles: 0       Sprint wins: 1       GP wins: 1
7Honda HRC Castrol134
         Poles: 0       Sprint wins: 0       GP wins: 0
8Honda LCR MotoGP122
         Poles: 0       Sprint wins: 0       GP wins: 0
9Red Bull KTM Tech3118
         Poles: 0       Sprint wins: 0       GP wins: 0
10Monster Energy Yamaha MotoGP86
         Poles: 0       Sprint wins: 0       GP wins: 0
11Prima Pramac Racing46
         Poles: 0       Sprint wins: 0       GP wins: 0